To say that the bloom was off the rose by our 3rd lesson would be an understatement. The rose had faded; the foliage, brown and dry, had wafted to the ground; the stems had been pruned to the roots. I was now visualizing a disaster from which I would never recover. I couldn’t figure out what was happening. I couldn’t get anything right. The variations are now all new. We made some slight changes in the routine which I appreciate because that means that it is original, not recycled. That still did not explain the train wreck I was experiencing.
What’s wrong with me that these slight changes have completely thrown me off?
What’s wrong with me that I can’t get the feet and the arms all doing the right thing?
What’s wrong with me that I can’t get the silver step right when I primarily dance bronze?
What’s wrong with me that I can’t remember that this set is a 6 measure count when the other sets are 8 measures?
What’s wrong with me that the instructor is offering to simplify the routine if it’s “too hard”?
I was so frustrated that I couldn’t even talk.
Lucky for all involved, the snow came down and I got a day off. I spent hours with pencil, paper, and music and broke down the mechanics of this partial routine. I dissected, diagramed, and danced every nuance that we had been taught. By the end of this time, I knew what I knew and knew what I needed to know. Now I felt some sense of control again. After presenting my instructor with my findings, she patiently explained these points of confusion and my confidence edged up a bit. Then came the next 12 measures. Four measures were familiar. YES! The next 8 were all new; each count a different move. Ugh.
We increased our lessons to 3 a week.
Stay tuned for part 4.
See You on the Floor!